PDA

View Full Version : Lionel TMCC/Conventional Engine Operation Troubles

gvtfan
06-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Today I finished wiring my TMCC system into my one loop of track on my 8 by 8 table. Everything seems to be in working order. I have two conventional engines, one of which is at the shop, the other which hasn't ran in about 2 years. With the Power Master, I followed the instructions to make my engine run, but I was only successful in making it light up.
Here are the steps I took:
Turned on System
TR Button
1 Button
AUX1 Button
0 Button
Boost Button
Direction Button

The engine then went through the sequence of directions, but it showed no effort to move. Is it the engine, or the TMCC?

ICG/SOU
06-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Dumb question, but did you:

Set your Power Master to CONV and RUN?

What kind of powersource are you using? (ZW, a Powerhouse brick?)

gvtfan
06-14-2010, 03:18 AM
Not as dumb as it sounds actually...I know I set it to CONV, but I'll double check that it's set to run, I don't think it is.

Thanks!

Charlie

gvtfan
06-14-2010, 03:19 AM
Oh...I'm using the powerhouse. Thanks for helping me out!

ICG/SOU
06-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Is the locomotive you're trying to use have sound (or at the minimum, bell and horn/whistle)?

I have a Weaver GP38-2 I just bought brand spanking new at a local train show. The seller had never run it, and it was, he thought, 6 years old. I asked him to put it on the track to test it, and it hummed and the light came on, but it didn't run. I was going to have TMCC put in it anyway, so it was going off to the Weaver factory that following Monday.

Turns out, this locomotive had a NiCd battery that operated the bell and horn. When the loco isn't run for a while, that battery begins to loose its charge and ends up fully discharged. If the battery sits not recharged long enough, it will not take a charge when you finally try, by putting the loco on powered track and running it.

My Atlas O has a similar thing in it (uses some sort of battery for operating the sounds in conventional mode), but I didn't pay attention to the conventional instructions as I've always ran it in TMCC mode. I have a couple traditional O locos, but neither have sound and thus batteries.

This may be the problem. If so, your instruction manual for the locomotives should help you.

gvtfan
06-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks Trey, but this model is from the mid-70s, and I'm pretty sure it had no such battery. I appreciate your time though, as this is good for future reference! Just curious though, how much was it to make it TMCC?

gvtfan
06-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Dumb question, but did you:

Set your Power Master to CONV and RUN?

What kind of powersource are you using? (ZW, a Powerhouse brick?)Must be my engine, as I double checked everything and it was set to CONV and RUN. I should have another conventional engine to test with soon.:rolleyes:

ICG/SOU
06-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Weaver has a price list on their website. I think it was $250 to install both TMCC with Railsounds and EOB (engineer on board). You have to call to get a Return Authorization number first. They had the install done the day the package arrived, and total turn around was 2 weeks (thanks to UPS ground--it takes twice as long for a package to get here than it does to ship it to the same place).